A 50mm WALK: DETAILS

Posted: October 21, 2012 in Details, Flowers, Photography, Red
Tags: , , , , , , ,

A walk in the arboretum with my 50mm lens.

When I bought this lens, I opted for the 1.4 version and I’m glad I did. I generally shoot with the aperture wide open because I really like that shallow depth of field.

The resulting blur and/or bokeh effects give a nice painterly quality to pictures.

I walk in the arboretum several times a week, but I rarely bring a camera, even my point and shoot. I know me: I  would just wander around following the next flashy leaf or alluring seed pod and a 3 or 4 mile walk could end up being timed with a calendar, not a watch. However, Friday made me realize that one more heavy rain will probably wipe away any remaining color.

I only brought my camera with the 50 already on…no gear bag.  This meant, of course, that I couldn’t properly catch the turkeys who hung around, coyly ducking behind trees when I aimed the camera at them.

New career path: Poultry Papparazzo.

Saved my favorite shot for last:

Comments
  1. i LOVE the bokeh on the f1.4….so soft and creamy!!
    gorgeous shots!!

2. Tammy says:

Love these, especially the berries.

3. Love the balance between sharp and blur; beautiful photos, wonderful color balance.

Succulent and juicy! Delicious…..

one more thing….. It’s rare do such honor to the complementary palette of yellow and alizarin crimson as you have in the sharp edged leaves against pastel. Nice, Patricia!

6. Jeanne Heuer says:

Nature’s architecture is a nice break from the man-made stuff. The seed pod is my favorite, it reminds me of the downy breast feathers on a bird.

7. marty says:

Such incredibly intense colors!

8. Thanks, Marty! Maybe the colors are stronger on the east side of town?

9. Barbara says:

The first photo, with the single drop of rain balanced on the leaf is wonderful. Thank you!