PLEASE (PRETEND TO) JOIN ME…

Posted: December 8, 2012 in Bridges, Photography, Structures
Tags: , ,

eminence

I am thrilled thrilled seriously thrilled to tell you that one of my pictures, Eminence Grise, was juried into the  2012 Arrowhead Regional Biennial at the Duluth Institute of Art.

The show opens with a reception at the Institute on Monday evening.

My piece will be there, but I won’t be.

When I submitted my entry, it was fall. Gorgeous weather. If I make it into the show, I thought, what a nice adventure to drive up to Duluth.

I sort of spaced on the more practical aspects of this plan: 5-plus hours drive each way (much of it on two-lane roads through the woods), Duluth is located right on Lake Superior, and the show is in mid-December (with a possible winter storm on tap for Sunday into Monday.)

I’ve opted out and it’s just making me crazy. This is the first time I’ve skipped an opening for a show that I was in.

I will grant you all of the good and pure and artistic reasons to enter artwork in a juried show. But one of the rewards is asking friends to join you at the opening. Then you can get all dressed up in your artist-finery, grab a glass or two of wine and laugh and chat and smile until your jaw succumbs to grin-fatigue. Then maybe you all go out to dinner.

There may or may not be more wine involved.

Which brings me to the purpose of today’s post. I’m guessing that you won’t make it to Duluth on Monday night either.

On Monday evening, would you be so kind as to have a glass of something (or maybe a decaf coffee and a cookie or two) and pretend for just a moment that we are all in Duluth, grinning and chatting and checking out the artwork? Dressing up is optional, though if you want to pretend to be in a tux, I will be suitably impressed.

I look forward to pretending to see you there.  It goes without saying that if you have an opening or a similar event in the future, I would be delighted to pretend to attend yours.

Thank you.

*****     *****     *****

eminence at miller

Eminence Grise at the Miller Art Museum in Sturgeon Bay this fall.  (It was one of two pieces I had in the Juried Annual at the Miller.)  The image is 12×28 and framed with a 5-inch mat, making for a LARGE piece and I do not even want to discuss the adventures I had in finding a container large enough to ship it to Duluth in.

Comments
  1. David says:

Here here! I’ll put the show on my calendar.

2. jlheuer says:

Well of course we will be there.

3. Make that three and cheers…I mean congratulations. Love your troll-view shots of that bridge.

4. Tammy says:

Wouldn’t miss it. Congratulations again.

Love this so much.
    Fabulous.

6. marty says:

I’m a great pretender – congrats on making the show – wish we were all there!

7. Congratulations and cheers!!!

8. Thank you … it was a fabulous evening!

9. I am SOOOO glad you were able to come, Anita. It just would not have been nearly as much fun without you.

10. richardhaas8 says:

Patricia…….I am pretending that I am not late in finding out about your showing and pretending also that Texas isn’t so far from where you are.
    The evening was incredible, but it was kind of a drag trying to work through the crowds around your photo all night long.
    I am also pretending that I was able to squeeze through the fans surrounding you and give you a congratulatory hug.
    Congrats~!!!!

• Richard–I LOVE these events, because how can you be late? And it is so easy to fold a map and make Texas right next to Wisconsin. Delighted you could make it…several of the others were asking about you.
      (And there was no shortage of wine OR the really good cheese!)