And just where was your friend, Wabi Sabi, this weekend? What exotic locale was that woman visiting? A Japanese shrine?  A meditation retreat?

lower dock

Maybe a defunct ore dock on Lake Superior?

If you chose ore dock, you win.

I drove to Marquette this weekend to see my friend, Karen: my partner in crime since we were 13 years old. Even though the statutes of limitations have probably run out on most of those crimes, we prefer not to talk about them. For a long time, that was to spare our parents undue distress. Now it’s to avoid leading our grandchildren astray.

For two and a half days, we were on a Wabi Sabi Quest.  We were looking for beat-up, broke-down, and abandoned and we found all of that and more: an orphanage, iron mine, ore dock, warehouses by the score, and the crazy-beautiful side streets of Negaunee. All derelict, cracked, boarded up, rusted out and  festooned with “No Trespassing” signs which we pretty much ignored.

Some things just don’t change.

It will take me weeks to share the best of our discoveries with you.

Comments
  1. Barbara says:

I am looking forward to all you found; I keep returning to this first photo, really nice.

2. Karen Hupp Taylor says:

Do you think we need tetanus shots? Great stuff.

3. marty says:

What a wonderful little Zen shrine!

‘Wabi Sabi Quest’ :-))

5. Anne says:

What a find and it’s only the first….. an entrance to your quest…Meditative piece….. There is a lot, a lot to see in this picture. I love the reflection in the water in the posts in the foreground,
    the square-ish patch of interest at the end and the slats of light getting you there
    without the slightest idea why….and almost a craving to see this image in perfect symmetry.

• Thank you, Anne–I love reading your take on pictures. Sometimes you catch what I am trying to say and I am delighted and other times you see what I don’t see…and then I do a drawn-out “ahhhh…” and nod wisely, like “I knew that all along” …even though I didn’t.
      Whispered secret: I came back with over 600 pictures. Holy Blogposts, Batman!

6. Anne says:

I am delighted to know you have a treasure trove and that you will edit and I get to view them a couple at a time and have the luxury then to sink in to them individually ….as I write this I am looking at the staircase in the basement with the morning shadows on the wall and they are saying “Patricia? are you talking to Patricia? is she coming soon? aren’t we interesting?” ( It’s a good thing I usually write my comments at the end when people are on to your new entries so as I make the case for being you crazy friend not too many other people know the company you keep.

• I have quite a few more of this dock and then a few miles down the road is a fully-functioning working ore dock. I maybe have a career just in sorting the shots. (And then there is the mine and the orphanage…)
      Oh, Anne…the “company I keep” on the blog have a lot in common, I think.
      I will call you with calendar in hand. Tell your shadows I’m on my way!