I’ve shot these buildings a couple of times, but no matter how often I’ve tried, I’m never exactly sure what  I am looking for. Mostly, the shock value is such that, while I’m framing up shots, I’m chanting in my head: Holy Mother of Pearl! Holy Mother of Pearl!

.IMG_5642

I realized a while ago that I see the faces of many buildings as art quilts–huge expanses of geometric figures grouped together in pleasing patterns. Following that idea, I enrolled in a series of quilting classes through the technical college and have proven to be, quite frankly, a horrible student. I resist printed instructions, precision (“what is this quarter inch seam of which you speak?”) and anything that remotely smacks of traditional.  I will throw myself in front of a bus if I am ever forced to create something involving a sunbonnet or a goose. (Bus service doesn’t run this far out of town, but I swear I will drive myself INTO town and then throw myself under a bus should that sunbonnet scenario arise.)

IMG_5637

IMG_5636

This next shot really does work as a quilt:  all these wonderful strips and chunks that match-but-not-exactly-match, strung together and appliqued on top of each other in an artfully wonky fashion.

IMG_5623

IMG_5629

I have a class Tuesday afternoon. When my instructor sees what I’ve done to yet another perfectly innocent chunk of fabric, I’ll bet I can predict her reaction: Holy Mother of Pearl! Holy Mother of Pearl!

Comments

Oh Holy Mother of Gee’s Bend quilts. The origin of such is in their back yard too. They give you permission of ignore ALL of what you are learning and LIVE those images. Patricia!!

Holy building looking like a quilt, Batman! It looks like it will fall over any moment. Great shots.

Patchwork heaven! Love how you zero in with the final image. Happy (?) quilting, Patricia!

4. Jeanne says:

I bbelieve you have found the template for your quilt. Run with it!

Rather than quilting, try roofing. That rusty iron is what I search for – to no avail as yet! Beautiful patina and of course photos.

6. Anne says:

You always find red…..

7. mobius faith says:

Beautiful patchwork barn. Great find. There’s something so attractive about rusty corrugated tin.

8. My friend, Karen, just reposted this on her own Facebook page titled “As You Sew So Will You Weep.” I should just let her do the titles for me.

one more thought….. When are you setting up your tent in that space to capture the early day to late night imagery? Time is such an element here……

10. Can’t think of a more apropos metaphor for these great shots than quilt.

11. OMG!…….I love these images. Now I can simply say I am envious! So…..we both have had our moments of envy and inspiration. Thank you for posting these incredible images for us to ponder and gaze upon….I love your work, and these are amazing!

Oddly…..I heard the furniture artist/designer, Jim Rose from Sturgeon Bay, recently speak at a gallery opening about his inspiration gained from attending a quilt exposition. I reflect on how we see things and how they relate not only to the immediate image, but how an image or group of images can change your day…..your thoughts…..they manner in which you look at the world around you…….today…..tomorrow…..maybe forever…….again…..thank you for changing my day in a unexpected way.

• Thank you, Greg, for your kind (and enthusiastic!) thoughts about these pictures. I mull the connections between images and ideas or images and images a lot and it seems to me that once you are really open to what you are seeing (hearing, writing, touching) the connections are just inevitable. So a flock of birds can inspire a brushstroke, a photograph or a haiku and any one of those things can in turn spark a quilt pattern…
      When we stop having boxes and shelves for storing our creativity, then our worlds are all so much richer.

• I agree. Too many times we “think inside the box”…..be cause we were taught to…..or those around us only see the world from inside the box and our perceptions lead to become so limited and the sad part is that we settle and compromise……and if we do….our work is but a snippet of what we felt….envisioned…..desired.

12. April says:

Love these!! LOL @ the Holy Mother of Pearl!!

13. John says:

Great shots … as always!

Though, I am almost tempted to say that my favorite part of this post is the tags. 🙂

14. .Bob Pum says:

Awesome and Aesthetic Images , . . . this Ole Geezer Art Prof loves them !

15. oldsunbird says:

All the shots–just wonderful!