I was down below my favorite bridge yesterday morning. This is the 172 Bridge, sometimes referred to as the Allouez-Ashwaubenon Bridge,  and it spans the Fox River as one of the two major traffic-carrying bridges in the area.

20131003_3207

20131003_3217

I like these slices. I finished them softly to evoke a cathedral or sacred space feeling.

20131003_3202

Next, the underside of the roadway, taken a little right of center and using a Sigma Ultra Wide lens. By cropping the support structure out, I was going for a high speed power blast.

power blast

And, as long as I was down there, why not finish with a nice slice of graffiti?

20131003_3296

###       #######       #######       ###

Bridges are a hot topic here in Green Bay, especially the Leo Frigo Bridge (also known as the Tower Drive Bridge) which developed an alarming two foot sag a few days ago!  The Frigo will be closed for at least 18 months or more and that closure is wreaking havoc on East-West travel in the area. Click here for a bazillion pix of the sagging bridge:

Comments

A 2 foot sag? Danger alarms should be going off. If not I’d be confused, that bridge needs some relief. 🙂

• I SHOULD say that folks all along the watchtower spotted it, but alas! not so.A county employee called it in at around 4 a.m. but the 911 dispatcher assumed he was drunk.
      A pylon is sinking. My suggestion is that they get some industrial-sized matchbooks and shim it up.

2. richardhaas8 says:

Under a bridge with a 2 foot sag? Hmmm. Death wish? No, just the willingness to get that “right” shot,
    After looking at the “bazillion” shots i am a little curious about one thing…………what does the Panda bear have to do with anything?

• Oops…not a clear post on my part, Richard, and I have revised accordingly. This is NOT the saggy bridge.
      As for those bazillion shots–no kidding! I can never figure out how some of those make it in.

Here’s a long sidebar to that: my students were presenting unit projects on Ancient China in our Little Theatre area. During one PowerPoint, a giggle started in the group that rapidly spread as more and more of the kids tilted their heads and started to snicker. The poor kid who was presenting was going crazy, getting flustered and going “What? What?”

It turns out that the lovely example of Chinese calligraphy he had chosen from Google Images was an elaborate fake and if you tilted your head and read it sideways, it read, in English: “F*** You”

He was mortified, the class howled and I laughed so hard, I wept.

I always used that incident as a cautionary tale to students when they had to choose images online.

3. Barbara says:

I like the slices, too. Clean, spare, lovely.

4. jlheuer says:

The graffitti finale was fun and thanks for the bazillion Leo Frigo pics. You saved me so much time.

5. webgregor says:

I love your bridge images…..the slice of graffiti…..Perfect!

Always love the sanctuary areas under the bridge . It is so quiet looking.

mystery and ambiguity makes for gallery ready…..

I”ve just revisited No. 1 on my big Mac screen and Oh it’s divine. That tiny blue rectangle has such a big voice here.