A DIFFERENT BRIDGE MIX

Posted: October 6, 2013 in Architecture, Bridges, Details, Green Bay, Photography, Structures, Wabi Sabi
Tags: ,

I mentioned in my last post that the Tower Drive Bridge in Green Bay has developed an two-foot sag (!) and is closed for at least the next 18 months.

tower1

The shots included here were taken from under that bridge a few years ago.

tower5

I haven’t looked at these pictures in a while and am freshly struck by what a beautiful structure this is.

tower2

tower3

tower4

Truly, an elegant ballet comprised in equal parts of concrete and grace.

Comments
  1. David says:

Beautiful bridge! I spent yesterday crossing bridges, checking out half finished bridges, and wandering under bridges! Hope I can find one photo as wonderful as yours.

2. Jeanne says:

You are the Bridge Queen!

Beautiful. Everything is so majestic.

Nice shots. Interesting design underneath. The beauty may be ruined though depending on what they do to shore it back up.

• Thanks. One of those piers out in the river has corroded where the concrete meets the metal piling under water so the last solution I heard floated was 2 temporary piers, replace the original and remove the temporary. Any way you look at it, most of my trips into town will now take twice as long.

Ahhh, is again released from my inner voice. These are indeed ballet of concrete and grace. Wouldn’t you like to be there now….a slight dip in the bow. These are a lovely antidote to listening to a retired civil engineer’s perspective at the breakfast table.

6. Strong contemporary competition for gothic cathedral architecture. Second from bottom is quite lyrical. Wonderful choice of words at the end.

7. Gretchen Passmore says:

I too was thinking cathedral when I saw them. Love the lines. I’m sure that if there had been a bit of red stained glass there you would have found it.

8. *sigh*……..Bridges…….amazing!