Downtown Green Bay. The official baptized and registered name of this structure is the Ray Nitschke Bridge but the only ones who call it that are reporters or politicians.  Everyone else says “Main Street Bridge.”

I grew up in a small town with guys named “Fish” and “Doughnuts,” and “Six-Pack.”  That’s what everyone called them…except for their moms. Their moms called them Edward, Raymond, and Harold.

Same principle.

.main4

The Main Street Bridge spans the Fox River and, along with the Walnut Street Bridge, marks the East-West split in Green Bay. On the east side, the street is called Main Street.  Upon crossing the bridge, however, you will find yourself on Dousman Street.

main1

When I first moved to Green Bay, I used to laugh at people making a big deal about driving ALL THE WAY to the west side. Now my kids, who live in Atlanta and Minneapolis, mock me unmercifully for my reluctance to travel all the way across town.

main2

main3

I took these pictures standing under the east side of the bridge since I didn’t want to drive ALL THE WAY to the West Side.

Plus, I forgot my passport.

Comments
  1. Marjorie Mau says:

Patricia,

I am laughing so hard. Thank you. Plus I am absolutely in love with these images, especially the final shot….truly mystery, ambiguity and clarity all together. I’m certain this is where my heart found its rhythm.

You are wonderful. M

Sent from my iPad

The colors are beautiful, especially in the reflections. I wonder what it looks like from the other side of town??

haha, great photos, great colours. Safer under the bridge than across the bridge.

In the last photo what is that bright thing, that looks like flames? These are nice.

• A bright dancing light reflection–the sun was striking a window in the bridge tenders tower–that then reflected up from the water onto the wall. Sun-window-water-wall: a cosmic pool game with a great banked shot. 🙂

5. Barbara says:

Oh yes, beautiful colors that remind me of the terra-cotta of Rome. ( a message from your far-out West side friend)

6. webgregor says:

WS………You are too funny!…I love the images as well……but your sense of humor slays me……

7. jlheuer says:

These are very nice, love the color. Curt has expressed a particular interest in this series and may want to speak to you about that.

• I thank you very much–I love the color as well.
      And, yes, the algae bloom really is that green down there. Under normal circumstances, that would be a deal-breaker for me but paired with the terra cotta, it actually works.

8. Poetry. Beautiful. Architecturally inspiring. Etc.

9. Pépé le Moko says:

So, so , so much more interesting than Dousman St…..if people only knew …. they’d drive their cars into the water…….congrats ,you not only made it to the west side you made it north and two days before the first snow hit the ground sounding like pancake flippers hitting the leaves – brave

• I should probably try to move out of my comfort zone and see what the world looks like from the west side…

the first snow hit the ground sounding like pancake flippers hitting the leaves…Pépé le Moko , you are a weaver of fine images.

I am sure the Serious Women’s Book Group can make another trip north this season. I am not much of a winter driver, but I am a fearless passenger.