Thanksgiving on my mind.

Three shots of one segment of a railroad bridge in Hastings, Minnesota.

rr slice1

rr slice3

rr 3

What bizarre ideas possess us at times when we are gathering with our families? Why is it that your friend, Wabi Sabi, is determined beyond all reason to bake a pie and bring it to Minnesota on Friday?

First of all, I believe that there is some Minnesota law that forbids the import of any pie not baked by either a Scandinavian woman or at the very least, a non-lapsed Lutheran, so there might actually be a border incident on these points alone.

There is no discussion to be had on this one. I have baked a Brulee Maple-Pumpkin pie (Saveur, December 2013) and am hauling it across Wisconsin for a 7 hour drive. Tucked into one of my countless bags, I have my blowtorch and raw sugar so that I may actually do the brulee part on site.

If I don’t declare the blowtorch at the border, can I get nailed for violating a concealed carry law in addition to the charges of Felonious Pie Transport?

Comments

Hope that bridge has been maintained. Consider me with you for the torching of the sugar, and be nice to the border guards. Enjoy the day.

• Hey, Andy–It’s a working bridge and very beautiful. Thanks for the encouragement–I plan to bring a Jello salad and offer it to the guards. Minnesotans are just powerless in the face of a Jello salad. 🙂

This bridge is ultra cool. Are those suspended rail tracks I see? Great shots.

3. marjorie says:

Genius…..pure and simple.

so cool.
    thort is was a roller coaster at first.

I’ll be watching the news to see if there are any stories about a crazy woman with a contraband cake, and a resultant “smoky and the bandit” style car chase.

6. love it! such a rebel! Great shots btw…

7. Jeanne says:

Well with your history of going through airport security I’m sure there is already someone waiting for you at the border.

8. Vive l’esprit de rébellion. (and the beauty of raw steel)