Two of my photographs have been juried into the 24th Annual Midwest Seasons Exhibition at the Center for the Visual Arts in Wausau, Wisconsin (and are, at this very moment, in the CVA building, waiting to be hung.)

You’ve seen variations of both of them. The first is The Dowager Queen of Elk River.  It is printed on a Polar Metallic paper and I am so pleased with the results.

Derozier_Patricia_The Dowager Queen of Elk River_Digital Photography_18x12_Entry 1

The second is An Orderly Retreat.  I shot these windows this fall in a variety of looks, and this version was my hands-down favorite. The broken sign in the bottom window provides such a contrast to the rigidly ordered grid of windows that I am forever grateful to the unknown person who left it there.

Derozier_Patricia_An Orderly Retreat_Digital Photography_13x16_Entry 2

Since patterns of three are always a good thing, I am also posting Milk House Koan.  This photo was hung in the juried 69th Art Annual at the Neville Public Museum in Green Bay.  That show went up in September and closes this  Sunday.

PDerozier_Milk House Koan_Photography_11x17

I am seriously pleased to be included in the Midwest Seasons Show for the third year in a row. The first year I entered, I did NOT make it in, in large part because I inadvertently submitted a blank CD.

Face palm. Face palm. Face palm.

Entering a juried competition can be unnerving. With thousands of images in an artist’s archives, it is hard to chose the two or three you’d like to throw into the ring. I spend a lot of time second-guessing my choices. Sometimes, I am POSITIVE that I have submitted pictures that are a lock…only to have them all rejected. Other times, I submit two faves and a wild card, just to round things out and have the wild card make it into the show and not the faves. No matter: I am always thrilled and delighted to have a piece chosen.

And I no longer take it personally when I strike out.

(I think I’m getting the hang of this “act like a grown-up” thing that I’ve heard so much about!)

Comments
  1. John says:

Congrats on your well-deserved recognition!

2. Thank you, John! You know I do this for the wine and snacks at the openings, don’t you? 🙂

congratulations !!! how exciting.

Applause! Applause! For knowing, seeing, being.

5. richardhaas8 says:

I love it when I’m not surprised by good news. My congratulations to you.

6. jlheuer says:

You own this show. I see an award in your future.

7. congratulations !!! here here !

8. Congratulations. Well deserved recognition. Nice to be reminded that persistance pays. (And it pays to remember that your own judgment counts more than exhibit selectors and jurors at times of rejection.)

You should win, otherwise the judges are seriously blind. Whatever, all the photos you post are worthy of a stop and see and think about, which is rare, especially the thinking about bit.

10. wisreader says:

Sincerest congratulations! I love the details you’ve shared on what you’ve chosen and all the angst and second-guessing that goes into submitting one’s work to a juried event. Instructive!

Will you post dates of the Midwest Seasons show?

• Thank you, wisreader. And there really is no reasoning with an artist. Two of my three submissions made it into this show and my first thought was ” and WHAT was wrong with the third piece?”
      The CVA show goes up on January 10 with the opening reception on January 24, show running through March 15. If you’ve not been to that gallery in downtown Wausau, it really is a treasure.