Sometimes I have a theme going but don’t recognize it until I look at my assembled shots.

ice side tug sized

pirate tug sized

black and red sized

tires sized

************************************************************************************

This is a busy and festive week. Friday was Pi Day, Saturday the Ides of March, today–Sunday– is St Urho’s Day and tomorrow is St Patrick’s Day.  Your friend, Wabi Sabi, is reeling with festival fatigue.

The legend of St Urho was invented by American Finns on the Mesabi iron range of northern Minnesota and Michigan in the late ’50s.  The story says that Urho drove the grasshoppers out of Finland, thus saving the grape harvest (and, by extension, the wine!) How should we celebrate this miracle? Why, by drinking wine and wearing purple, of course!   St Urho’s Day is conveniently located the day BEFORE St Paddy’s Day…a good-natured attempt to steal some of that day’s thunder or maybe just a good excuse to get the party started a day early.

Found this heinäsirkka in my archives:

urho

Hyvää Pyhän Urhon Päivä!

Comments
  1. David says:

Sounds like a similar gambit by the Spanish, finding enough Saint Days together to justify long weekends or even week long holidays on a regular basis!

2. jlheuer says:

So glad you blogged about St.Urho. I thought about it but knew I couldn’t do him justice.

3. Jeanne says:

Me again. I just read that St. Urho chased the grasshoppers out by utterly those immortal words, “Heinäsirkka, heinäsirkka, mene täältä hiiteen” (roughly translated: “Grasshopper, grasshopper, go to Hell!”).

4. You did it with the cranes now with the tugs – “towed” me back to another time when I rode on them on the Potomac River, even through ice, out to a barge on which was anchored a big Manitowok crane, the boom of which is the very one I mentioned climbing out to the end of, the purpose of which was to lift massive steel beams used in the construction of the Roosevelt Bridge. Tugs are great.
    Happy St Urho’s day

looks like you were close.

I was thinking St Urho’s Day was akin to Seinfeld’s festivus.
    Had to check it on google; not that I doubted you for a second. 🙂

Negaunee will have fireworks tonight in honor of st Urho.. It is a yearly celebration. You have done the good Finns proud.