Did you ever read the I Spy books with your kids? “I spy a hammer, a button, a coat with bright tails. A feather, a yo-yo and two crazy snails.”

That’s what these shots remind me of. There are SO many items piled up that the overall effect seems to have been artfully planned for puzzle-time fun.

20140503_9580

Yesterday’s tableaux were cuts from the larger pictures. Today you can see them in context.

20140503_9572 copy

20140503_9576 copy

20140503_9579 copy

20140503_9578

As ultra-modern super-computerized as Bay Shipbuilding is, this building in the center of the operation, dwarfed by freighters, cranes and mammoth construction zones, stands as a delightful throw-back to another time.

20140503_9581

Comments
  1. Curt & Jeanne Heuer says:

Now I know where British sculptor, Sir Anthony Caro, got his ideas.

Curt

U know i like these. I want to be here.

Absolutely! Love this set.

4. Tammy Brusky says:

I was born and raised in Sturgeon Bay. I know many men, and a few women, who have worked at Bay Ship over the years, including my father who as a welder and my father-in-law as a pipe fitter. I must say that even as your “Canon Sister” it has never occurred to me to tour the place. It was always there, the place where hard dirty work is done. Thanks for a new perspective.

• It’s hard to see something that is always there. Those things that are standard sights in Sturgeon Bay are truly exotic to me. I stumbled into the tour info by happenstance–they only open up to the public once a year. Get it on your calendar for early next May…and take your dad with you. And…I read your comment right after I posted Thursday’s “Welding” pictures. I hope he approves.

Fantastic shots. I never read the “I spy” books but I remember the “Spy vs spy” cartoons. Does that count?

I never worked in a shipyard, but my first job was with International Harvester, and this brings back memories of the factory yard I used to walk through a s a green, out of uni, hopeless, “Zone Manager”. I love these places, and nicely done.

7. John says:

Great photos … love the yellow of the building. It really accentuates the rust colors.

For someone like me who likes to do close-up and macro photography, it looks like the kind of place one could spend a day photographing all the bits and bobs on the shelves…

P.S. Reminds me of my room. 🙂