Airport, train station, Metro, hotel and Pere Lachaise. I was a woman on a mission.

Pere Lachaise Cemetery in the rain.

I believe this set can compete in the Rooftops, Rain and Cemeteries categories all at once.

20140512_0503

The walk from the hotel was gray and threatening and after an hour in the cemetery, it began to rain. The rain came and went in waves and each time it returned, it was a little colder and harder.

20140512_0506

20140512_0504

The first few times, it was possible to seek shelter under trees and stay dry.

20140512_0505

Eventually, though, I was forced to take sanctuary in empty sepulchers. Seriously. I was totally NOT ooked-out by the whole open crypt business because they felt more like Dr. Who call boxes.

No, the spirit world was not an issue. The living world was. Bravely turning my back on the dusty scenes within, I stood determinedly chanting my heartfelt prayer: “No spiders. No spiders. No spiders. Pleeeeeze.”

20140512_0353

While trying to shoot into a crypt, Wabi Sabi shoots an inadvertent selfie.

Comments

liking very much.
    i adore graves & cemeteries.

Lovely accommodations in Paris no less. However, I would like to think that choosing accommodations in the stars would be priceless. The timeless beauty is haunting. I love it, but only during the day. It is a treasure to be enjoyed. Thank you
    for the beauty.

• I thought of you a dozen times as I was trying to capture a sense of this cemetery. The monuments are packed together and I know you would have been amazed and delighted to see them in person…I tried to duplicate that sense of “Wow!” as best I could.

3. Jean says:

beautiful in the rain. crowded in life and crowded in death…roof tops I mean.

That is a lovely comment, Jean. Thank you Patricia, for letting me into a space where I would never know otherwise. A haunting simplicity in repose, your commentary rich, your viewpoint precious.

Love the colour and mist (rain). Trust Wabi Sabi was dressed for the occasion?

Thanks for the explanations – I thought that last one was a ghost. 🙂
    Inside a crypt and you worry about spiders? I’d have been on the lookout for soul-sucking archangels.

• Hey…these were French spiders and I always heard they don’t shave their legs. I’ll take a smooth-marble soul-sucking archangel any day over a fat-furry blood-sucking arachnid in my hair. (Oh, yuck. I am creeping myself out just thinking about it.)

7. John says:

Gorgeous, moody, atmospheric … wonderful shots!

8. Amazing images once again!I love the first one A LOT!…..the rest are awesome as well….