AND LET US NOW REED OUR LINEN

Posted: June 10, 2014 in 17-85mm lens, Canon 60D, Details, Musee des Arts-et-Metiers, Museums, Photography, Wabi Sabi
Tags: ,

Machine for reeding linen, 1810…assuming that my spotty notes are somewhat accurate.  I did try to find other images of such a machine online–for confirmation–and was not able to, so I expect you’ll just need to trust me on this one.

20140514_0115

Such a utilitarian machine, yet created with such fine detailing. I find the marriage of  beauty and function here to be wonderful. Did you catch all the engravings? Not sure about the significance of the dragon but it does seem to be original to the piece.

20140514_0116

20140514_0117

Comments
  1. Kathie says:

Amazing

Whomever designed this, had a great artist flair for design. I bet it had few rivals.

• I am imagining someone totally invested in the overall final product, just like an artist shepherds her work through to the final framing/hanging. (In 1810, Henry Ford had not introduced his assembly line process to the world. 🙂 )

Many years ago I stamped all my belongings so. I’m glad it’s still in good order. 🙂

4. Jean says:

Gorgeous images. Art driven industry begets more art…. I found a present day (flax) reeding machine for linen but is very utilitarian, no flourishes.

Your third image is particularly mysterious on my big screen. Yum…..

• Thank you, Marjorie–this is what we were talking about yesterday. This series puts the image first (color, lines, focus) and brings the story in after. Or…the story is still primary, but far more subtle.

beautiful reed linening machine. When the craft-person out ranked the journey-person. Love those shells! “I remember, when I was a lad … ” working for a truck company – straight chassis rails. The French equivalent – curved chassis rails. Appreciation of beauty and detail. Thanks for this Wabi Sabi 🙂

• Thanks, Andy. Did you read my friend Jean’s comment: “Art-driven industry begets more art.” Yes–love the shells. It’s funny–since I’ve taken these pictures, I’ve spent a great deal of time considering that whole idea of beauty/detail/function.