Without getting too detailed, let’s just say that on Saturday an intervention was run on your friend Wabi Sabi. Apparently Ms Sabi has become increasingly cranky since her return from vacation and it was decided that for the good of the entire free world, she should be taken to the Wisconsin/Michigan border and forced to photograph old rusty things until she exorcised some of that…hmmm…artistic aggression.

It worked.

Menominee River.  The William H Donner, former laker turned stationary crane ship, anchored on the Marinette side of the river.

“They also serve who only stand and wait.”

20140614_0945

20140614_0968

Moody? Brooding? Slightly…threatening…like

20140614_0975

some off-planet high security prison?

20140614_0959

I am fascinated by the brushstrokes. While I can’t believe this entire ship would have been painted by hand…it sure does look like it. Blow up slices of the whole and these look more like a series of paintings that a series of photos.

20140614_0984

20140614_0983

What follows is a paragraph filled with Wabi Sabi Whining. Feel free to move on to something more satisfying.

When I went to Paris, I brought my Canon 60D and two lenses: 17-85 mm and a 50mm. On Day 3, the 17-85 stopped working, flashing the “connection” error message. The 50mm was a last minute add and I am ever-grateful that I had it. (I would have had to go lens-shopping in a second language.) I made gentle cleaning attempts–no good–and brought it in to the professionals when I got it home. A dozen shots into Saturday’s fun…and the connection error is back. This time I had a second body plus a 70-300mm lens with me, so I didn’t have to abandon the day. At the same time, though, the shots I did get were not the ones I would have taken with the 17-85mm. So….Monday afternoon will see me back at the camera store. If I have to go without this lens for several weeks, I am just going to cancel summer.

Comments
  1. west517 says:

Great image!

2. David says:

Yummy images! Very chewy, and yet refined still the same time 🙂

‘Apparently Ms Sabi has become increasingly cranky since her return from vacation and it was decided that for the good of the entire free world, she should be taken to the Wisconsin/Michigan border and forced to photograph old rusty things until she exorcised some of that…hmmm…artistic aggression.’

Love this 🙂
    did you get to go inside?
    G.

I’ll answer that. Inside, yes, of self that is. These are perfect fodder for your workshop idea. No, you can’t cancel summer! There’s lots of walking to be done…..

5. Wonderful series: sad to hear about your lens!

Hmm, it didn’t take long for you to get cranky after a holiday. 🙂

You’ve more control than me though. If the lens had stopped working on me whilst on holidays, I would have just bought a new one. I couldn’t stand to be without the appropriate arsenal of weapons and missing out on the shots I wanted.

• It’s one of my skill sets.:)
      Not a matter of control…unlike dragons who are known to guard caves filled with treasure (and camera equipment) Wabi Sabi….oh, shoot. Who am I kidding. Had I been left with no lens at all, I would have been forced to buy a new one there. The 50 was a good back up.

7. Please don’t cancel summer 🙂 Excellent photographs… the sides of this ship do look like they could have been painted on to a canvas!

I love it. She is a sea wench that carries her own chains as she she sits and waits. Beautiful details. The story is great!

9. jlheuer says:

I think Canon owes you a return trip to Paris……or Menominee

Love all your maritime textures. We have a blank wall that needs painting hmmmmm!