As seen from our seventh-floor apartment.

Actually, I think this first shot can be titled “Paris in the Rain as shot from Standing in Barbara’s Bathtub” if you really wanted to get all GPS on me.

20140520_0647

At this point in the trip, my wide-angle lens had pooped out on me and I was left with the 50mm f1.4 lens. So, while other folks were swilling wine and comparing notes on the day, your friend, Wabi Sabi, was playing around with what the lens could do with rain on the rooftops and in the street below.

20140520_0603

My primary use for the 50mm is close-ups with great shallow depth of field or magical bokeh…but not distance shots. So really, for me this was like getting to know a brand new lens.

20140520_0683

20140520_0655

As a bonus, there were no screens on any of the apartment windows and all of them cranked out. I was free to play with focus and depth of field from inside the windows or to hang out and go for a perfectly unobstructed view of the street.

No one was paying attention to me and I am grateful for that. When I get into the “Zone,”  I actually process aloud: “Yes!…Okay, okay…wait, no. Try this… All right!”

20140520_0671

20140520_0634

Fortunately for me, this is a pretty opinionated AND vocal group given to excited utterances, so my own brand of hyper-enthusiasm has plenty of space to blend in.

Like everyone, I have my own list of “Things That Give me Great Joy.”  Rain is one. A splash of red is another. Blessings on the woman who showed up in my frame with a red umbrella.

Comments

“Paris in the Rain as shot from Standing in Barbara’s Bathtub”.

LOL. fantastic photos.

Rubber Duckie I love you… Paris in the rain and in the rub a dub tub! So very real! The rain drops are a bit of magic. They pop with the tiny red droplets. Lovely!

3. Jean says:

Oh my, these are wonderful! Yum on the 2nd to last. But all of them are super!

• Thanks, Jean–I moved the focus around a lot trying to achieve different effects: raindrops primary or vague…or just implied. This post tries to share some of each. (Like my children, each is my real favorite but for different reasons. 🙂 )

4. David says:

I’m loving all of it!

5. jlheuer says:

I have a shot almost identical to your last one. Were we hanging out the same window ignoring each other?

6. […] Posts: Rain. Some Nice Picture of Rain PARIS IN THE RAIN I call Central Park my […]

Wabi Sabi in the zone, now that would be a sight to behold. Great shots, yes, yes, yes ….

8. Barbara says:

The red umbrella – a grace note to behold . Didn’t know my tub was so inspirational!

9. Barbara says:

Just showed this series to Michael. We both are struck by the photo with red umbrella! Which he describes as timeless

10. betsy says:

Beautiful pictures. There seems to be a novel that should go with them…..

Yes, and these must be seen full size on screen. The second last dot painting is magical.

12. Mary says:

My favorites are the first picture with the rain on the window and the one with the red umbrella. Lovely!

• Thank you, Mary. As someone who is a sucker for both rain and the color red, I was nearly undone by that shot. 🙂

• Mary says:

Red really does draw the eye and creates a sense of drama to a picture and rain plays with the light in interesting ways in photography, I’m finding. Paris in the rain must really set a magical mood though.