Your friend, Wabi Sabi, is a fearless woman but Life can sometimes surprise her.

This is what she saw outside the window as she wandered into her living room this morning:

feet

Oh! said Wabi Sabi. Why is a prehistoric creature standing on my deck and where is my camera?

20140901_3157

This guy has been coming around for a couple of weeks.  I think he’s been eyeing up the finch feeder and trying to figure out how to cash in on some free food. At first, I only found his…um…calling cards on my deck. (He pooped on my deck. There. I said it. He pooped. And if there are any jokes about the “poop deck,” you are grounded.)

Then I actually saw him out there one afternoon, but by the time I’d grabbed my camera, he’d disappeared. Turkeys are a skittish lot.

But today? Now look: I am setting you up for a really bad joke here.

Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

I mean it: you can still bail out before I get to the end of this story.

turk1

I admit it: I was shocked to come around a corner and come face to face with a…wait for it…wait for it…

okay, this is it…

PEEPING TOM!!!

Disclaimer: I gave you more than ample warning on this one. You could have walked away any time.

Comments

Oh shite.
    OK I googled male turkey to confirm they are called Tom. Not that I doubted you for a second, but well, actually, yes I doubted you. I hope Tom got an eyeful. 🙂

He could be the first of many to occupy your yard. Here in the U.P., it is quite common to drive by homes that have huge flocks in their yard. Perhaps Wabi Sabi will be so blessed. Gobble, gobble!

3. marty gallagher says:

I spotted a small flock of turkeys last year waddling through the yard on their way through the neighborhood – my feeders are in the backyard behind a fence – but my nearest neighbors have a squirrel feeder in the frontyard.

4. Jeanne says:

Not good. Seems to be less skittish. I think he is just a scout. Karen is right, if he thinks all is safe you’ll be seeing his friends soon.

disturbingly fabulous.

6. smilingtoad says:

FAR too many chortles to count. Wonderful post and epic joke. Thanks so much for the grins and what a wonderful creature. I would have been absolutely thrilled. Since moving south (I used to live in N. IL), I have seen fewer less turkeys, but oddly enough, I do see them sometimes, out in the swamp! I just love them. All the best,

Autumn Jade Toad

• smilingtoad says:

fewer** Blast, I don’t know how “less” squeezed in there. I also don’t know why I’m rambling about it in a second comment. I need to scram. CHEERS!

• Cheers to you, too, Autumn Jade. My eyeball skittered right over that extra word…. I’m glad we shared a coffee this morning or at least you waited around while I drank mine. I’ve been to your blog now and am signed up as a follower. Thanks for hanging out and talking turkey. 🙂