Someone rediscovers her 60mm lens.

I needed a photo of some “luscious food” to submit for a themed art show. So, with a comfortable margin of nearly 24 hours before the deadline, I hauled an armload of fruit, two cameras and three lenses downstairs to my light table. This took several trips.

In a spirit of full disclosure, I will tell you that before I could set up this little shoot, I first had to move many, many piles of last season’s clothing and random bed linens that had chosen to camp out on said table. On the plus side, I found a cache of corduroy pants from last winter that had gone missing and four yellow napkins I thought I’d lost forever.

And there was much rejoicing.

Four kinds of apples and two varieties of pears took their turns on stage. I posed them, spritzed them with water, draped chiffon around them and worked some soft lighting. Nothing.

God help me, but I played a little Barry White just to put those Granny Smiths in the mood, but they were not taking a shine to each other.

I was okay with this pear couple, but not crazy-in-love.

pear pair

When I couldn’t conjure anything more than tepid chemistry among the assembled models, I finally abandoned my sultry fruit plan and moved on to abstract portraits of citrus fruits.

And I’m fine, but not rock-my-world fine, with a couple of the citrus shots. Cathedral window, maybe?

orange slice1

and this group portrait:

group2

(As a bonus, my light table is now smelling citrusy-fresh… though I must remember to mop up the juice puddles before I toss my clothes and linens back in their haphazard stacks.)

On my last trip upstairs to see what other foodstuffs I could play with–slices of pepperoni! half a jar of peanut butter!–there it was. Lovely ripe cantaloupe lounging patiently on the counter.

google melon

Google-map of Stonehenge? Satellite picture of an Aztec temple?

I don’t think it qualifies as “luscious,” but it was my favorite of the afternoon.

You will be pleased to know that the other models found work in an ensemble dinner theatre production that I staged later in the evening, titled “Wabi Sabi Fruit Salad.”

And it was luscious.

20141130_5949

Comments
  1. Marjorie Mau says:

You bring such delight to my droll cross Wisconsin trip this afternoon. Teaching could never give you this kind of juiciness. I ❤️ the single lemon slice and melon bird’s eye view!

Sent from my iPhone

• There is a certain joy in rambling around in toasty flannels with latte in hand at 11 a.m. that cannot be reproduced in a classroom. Well, I suppose it could, but that would be a one-time-only experience. 🙂

I’m finding the melon endlessly fascinating.

Drive safely.

I found myself loving your last three shots. The final pear shot looks like pounded copper art. The cantaloupe is reminiscent of an old Aztec city shot right out of the window of an alien ship. Space alien, not the folks already occupying the planet.

• Thank you, Karen. It reminds me of the copper piece that you gave me a couple of years ago.

That DOES look like a city deep in the Yucatan, doesn’t it? Or, as you suggest, “Close Encounters of the Melon Kind.” 🙂

3. jlheuer says:

I showed Curt and said, “Guess”. He said “African village or a weird mushroom.” Then he wanted to know where you get cantalopes this time of year. If you enter this I think it will need an ambiguous title.

Oh, you smooth talking woman, you. 🙂

See you next year. Don’t miss me too much. 🙂

5. Jean Harper says:

These are just wonderful. Melon’s intricacy instantly made me think of the interior dome of a grand cathedral and the top of a Martians head. The red hot pears are super!

• Thank you. I thought lace as well–or maybe macramé given the coarseness. But I continue to go back to the Yucatan Peninsula in my mind. And isn’t it amazing that we work so hard to create a pattern that already exists in nature?

6. Jean Harper says:

Oh a 2nd look at melon…. your programed drone flew over an Inca settlement….yes?

Group citrus transparency, no hidden agendas here. But then I am an orange a day sort of guy.

fruity 😉 🙂 😀

9. Barbara says:

The melon is mesmerizing. Thank you!

10. Dennis says:

The cantaloupe looks like a winner to me. Could be a painting by some famous dead artist. But it’s intriguing.

• Thanks, Dennis. This is sad: I was just at the grocery store and nearly bought another melon just because of its intricate exterior. I wonder if I could invent “The Photographer’s Diet?” Buy all the food you want, but only take pictures of it. 🙂

11. Pépé le Moko says: