Seven images to kick off the new year.

These were taken between December 20-26, 2014.

Clear but gray skies mid-afternoon on the 20th:

20141220_6643

First light on the Solstice, December 21 (about 7 a.m.):

20141221_6692

Thirty or forty minutes later:

20141221_6776

Dense fog on the morning of the 24th, Christmas Eve:

20141224_7309

20141224_7273

And brilliant reflections (around noon) on the 26th:

20141226_7531

20141226_7630

I am forever grateful to whomever chose that wonderful terra cotta color for the base and the bridge-tender’s house.

Comments
  1. west517 says:

Beautiful colors!

Beautiful, such a pleasure to view. Impressed you get up so early in the cold, but the images are worth it 🙂

• Thank you. When driven by an inspiration (“Must get river in the fog!”) I actually rise up well ahead of time. Two of those days were pretty cold, though–when I could no longer feel my hands, I would retreat to the car and pin my hands between me and the heated car seat until I could function again.

Frozen fingers are not much of a problem in your world at the moment, are they? 🙂

• andykidd says:

Ah Wabi Sabi certainly not. Today is a day of catastrophic fire danger. We have an out of control fire in the Adelaide Hills and evacuations. Five houses at least gone. Forecast of 105 F and high winds. At the moment it feels like the calm before the storm. Smoky in our area but quite safe.

• Holy cats, Andy! I just went online to read about your fire situation and was stunned. I hope you are far enough away from danger that a midnight evacuation…or any evacuation for that matter… will not be in order.
      Wow. That is scary.

• andykidd says:

Yes, people have bad memories of what we call the Ash Wednesday fires. We have the local radio on which keeps us updated but also keeps us on edge. We are in a safe area though.

• I’ll monitor from here as well. Stay safe.

Super pretty.

4. Pépé le Moko says:

Clear but gray….those words are staying with me….I have those conditions ,too but very different views…thanks for sharing and see you soon

• Greetings to you, Pépé le Moko. Thanks for sharing the perfectly arranged tree. Are you getting little caravans of deer tip-toeing across your property or on the frozen lake?

• Pépé le Moko says:

coiffed – 1. a cap that fits the head closely 2. a white cap formerly worn by English lawyers was what came to mind….no deer but for all the wind the tree must like the description for it is the only one that has hung on to the snow

• Ahhhh…I interpreted “coiffed” as having that 1950’s perfectly done hairdo…a coiffure. You’ve added richness to both my vocabulary and my appreciation of your photo.
      …she said as she quaffed her morning latte.

the colors are so complimentary.