Friday evening will find me at the Center for the Visual Arts in Wausau for the reception and opening of the 25th Midwest Seasons Show. This is the fourth year in a row I have had work in this show and I am very honored to have been juried in again this year.

The juror chose a favorite piece of mine: All Summer in a Day. Generally I grumble about writing an artist’s statement for shows, but for this picture, I was eager to explain the title, the circumstances…the whole thing. While it’s likely no one read it,  I was glad to have the opportunity to express in words what I was trying for in my photo.

reflection1

The title of this piece, All Summer in a Day, comes from a favorite short story by Ray Bradbury about a planet where it rains incessantly but for one brilliant afternoon every seven years.

I took the photo mid-afternoon on Labor Day, 2014, at Green Bay’s Bay Beach Amusement Park.

It had been raining lightly on and off all day and in a few hours, the park would mark the end of its official Summer Season. The next morning would mark the official start for area schools. But balanced delicately on a cusp between those two events, a “right here, right now” moment if I ever saw one, was a never-ending slice of Ferris Wheels, Bumper Cars and cotton candy rich enough to hold all the joys of an entire summer. Children and adults streamed through the park, oblivious to the occasional showers, intent only on getting to the next ride.

I caught the man and woman gazing up at the Ferris Wheel in one of the afternoon puddles. The only manipulation that I did with this photograph was to rotate it so that the scene was not upside-down.

For a link to the CVA site, click here:    http://www.cvawausau.org/whatshappening.html

Comments

Just so good. The explanatory notes are indeed helpful. Enjoy the wine and cheese 🙂

2. Schwister says:

Beautiful image and story behind the image. Congratulations!

Wow. How exciting.

Congratulations. I believe i remember this wonderful image from a post. Love it.

5. gretpass says:

I really love this pic. It speaks to me on a variety of levels. Thanks for the chance to get a preview. Have a bit of wine and cheese for me 🙂

6. Jeanne says:

Have a wonderful time at the opening. We will be there in spirit. Thanks for posting your artist statement (I do read them). I like this pic alot but tied to a Bradbury story (he is one of my all time favorites), makes it even more special.

• It should be a decent drive this year–sans arctic winds and bitter cold.
      This is–in my opinion–one of Bradbury’s best. I’ve read it and reread it countless times. I will be curious to ask the juror tomorrow night if the title resonated with her.

7. Jean Harper says:

Congratulations, Patricia. Another great one!

8. betsy says:

Congrats. You’ve always had a way with words so keep it up. Love the picture as well and I also remember it.