LOW WINTER SUN

Posted: February 2, 2015 in 17-85mm lens, Brown, Canon 7D, Deserted, Details, Fields, Photography, Sunflowers, Wabi Sabi, Winter, Wisconsin

Six images. Best viewed full-sized.

A field of unharvested sunflowers.  I have dreamed of getting into the field with my super wide-angle lens, lying on my back and shooting straight up. That didn’t happen today. With temps in the upper teens and a brisk January wind blowing, I took what I could get before I lost all feeling in my fingers.

20150202_8348

20150202_8355

20150202_8333

20150202_8309

20150202_8296

20150202_8358

Comments
  1. Schwister says:

They kind of remind me of those Dorothea Lange Depression-era bread line photos: all brown and down and despondent but the overall effect is somehow beautiful.

I love it that your muses never fail to come to you when you beckon them. No. 1 and 4 are stellar! No. 1 because it’s a mystery what and where, No. 4 beause of the drama you found there..

3. Jeanne says:

Wonderful. I’ve been working with nature in winter lately also.

4. Jean says:

Holy dried up sunflowers. These are fantastic. You have done it again, wonderful! The color is spectacular. My favorites are 1 & 2 but all are great. (Insider: our waitress would be blown away)

for me decay/death is very beautiful.

Pristine snow and aged flowers , white and browns and yet more opposites. Beautiful set viewed full size 😊

7. Barbara says:

You captured the beauty here, fearless photographer!

• Thanks to you…AND your refusal to be intimidated by the cold, the ice sheets and the sign which said “QUARRY: Danger! Active Blasting.” We done good.

I think I should devise a badge or a pin of thanks to award to those who accompany me on a shoot.

8. Kathie says:

Sure caught the feeling of how we feel during winter — kind of depressed and out of it!! Love the photos.

9. So beautiful! Makes me think of a cemetery of fallen soldiers after a war. Anonymous souls, heads hanging. Winter clearly won this battle… But wait, just wait, a new army will soon come out and sun will eventually win. Thank you soooo much for your suffering in the cold (you won that battle!), this is such a treat!

• Oh, thank you. 🙂 Your kind words warmed up my day.
      I think it’s cool because we just love those golden fields when the sunflowers are in full bloom–I think every photographer has a collection of sunflower shots–but we don’t see a sight like this one very often.

10. projectbuddy says:

I think this series of photographs is one of the best I’ve seen anywhere in a long time. Perhaps because they express so well my own inner landscape. Whatever the reason, these photographs are awesome!