A BRIEF POLITICAL ASIDE

Posted: March 1, 2015 in 17-85mm lens, Photography, Street scene, Wisconsin
Tags: ,

There will be a short break from ethanol plants while I let off a little steam of my own.  It’s a gentle rant and don’t worry: I’ll be back to normal tomorrow.

I live in the great state of Wisconsin and our governor, Scott Walker, is making a run at the Republican nomination for President of the United States for 2016.

A few days ago, addressing a national high profile conservative gathering, he explained that he was perfectly prepared to deal with ISIS and other global terrorist threats because he’d stood up to 100,000 protesters in the state capital. Also, citing those same protest marches (there were many) and demonstrations, he explained that he was the right man to go nose to nose with Vladimir Putin. Putin would back down because Walker had proven to be resolute in the face of the protests across the state.

Please, let me show you the faces of some of those hardened terrorists Walker is referring to who exercised their rights to gather and protest the actions of their elected officials. And, yes: your friend, Wabi Sabi, was one of them.

farmers       20111119_1584      cowsinline

IMG_0935

IMG_0920          IMG_0896          20111119_1559

Wisconsin Terrorists: Even When We’re Angry, We’re Really Nice About It

20111119_1569

Finally, a Terrorist Family Portrait:

IMG_0997

My eldest son messaged me after hearing Walker’s ISIS/Wisconsin correlation and asked if being the son of Jihadi Patricia was going to land him on a no-fly list.

These pictures were taken in 2011 and 2012 at protest marches in Madison. While I had started out carrying a sign, I soon abandoned that in favor of documenting the events with my camera. Walker quickly walked back that assertion that teachers, librarians and other public sector protesters are the same as international terrorists, though not before hundreds of mocking posts sprang up on the internet.

Comments
  1. jlheuer says:

He can’t walk back from a statement like that. Nice post.

2. David says:

So fun and so sad to watch the republican ayatollahs race towards the immoral swamps of hatred.

• In an effort to establish his creds with the power-brokers, he is dismantling our state at a dizzying speed.

• wisreader says:

By now his creds are certified. He’s tight with the power-brokers – all the local big guns – anyhow. He’s doing their dirty work, and yes, at a dizzying speed. I think, though, the big guns behind him here are going to start looking a little silly on the national stage as Their Wonder Kid gives more embarrassing answers (see “Scott Walker, God’s Gift . . .” Rolling Stone. You’ll like it, I guarantee). Thanks for being a terrorizing cheesehead. You all made me proud to live here.

• An article in NYT’s March 1 issue quotes him as brushing off the question of courting big dollar donors:
        “Oh, I think along the way I’ll be at plenty of dairy events and farm events and factories just like when I was governor,” Mr. Walker said.

Sounds like the Governor is already seeing Wisconsin in his rear-view mirror.

Thanks for the link to the Rolling Stone article.

The games afoot. Someone put their big foot in their mouth.

4. Schwister says:

Wonderful post! My sister and two of my nieces were among the “terrorists” for many of those days in Madison. They are a state office manager, a nurse, and a social worker.

Actually, if Walker was able to stand up against a rabid Wabi Sabi, perhaps he CAN take on the world. 🙂

• Now…now…”rabid” is a little harsh, L.D. but yours was the first comment I read this morning and you started my day with a good chuckle.
      Or, maybe a maniacal cackle. A crazed chortle?
      Where are those pills they promised me?

6. John says:

I still cannot get over the fact that he’s polling so well as a presidential candidate …

Talk about a man who’s teflon-coated. One of these days, one of the charges against him is going to stick …

Good for you protesting! I’d be right there too!

(On the sad side — my mom, a retired high-school teacher — who belonged to the union, collects a pension from the state education fund, and who once was a Democrat, has stated that she thinks Walker is “on the ball”, and admits that she is anti-union (even though she supported the teacher strike back in the 1970s, for higher pay). But, I suppose at 91, your mind is not as sharp as it once was — that, and the fact that she now watches Fox 24/7. )

• He has pulled so many shady deals that it is truly amazing that he hasn’t crashed and burned at this point.
      (I just erased half a dozen of my lines since this really isn’t a political blog but suffice to say there were tendrils of smoke rising from my keyboard. 🙂 )
      Re your mom, I expect she is overall sharp as ever but the steady Fox News diet has taken its toll. “You are what you eat (or in this case, consume) “