I continue to return to the Pulliam Plant in search of pictures that grab me but have had mixed success capturing shots that give me full chestal thrum*. This is the first time I have tried it at night.

In this small set, the plant is a silent, hulking, mysterious presence. Or, at least, that’s what I was trying for, though the coppery reflections cancel out the whole Soviet factory vibe.

This is a strange place to take pictures. Not a soul around, but…holy cow!…loud, loud, loud. Look at the first picture and the lumpish things bisecting the river. Geese! The water is mostly open here and this is apparently a popular after-hours smorgasbord location. (You can often be rewarded during daylight hours by the sight of eagles who nest here year-around and fish the open waters.) I just didn’t think birds went out for dinner and drinks after dark.

Several earlier posts cover the Pulliam Plant. If you’re interested, you’ll find them under the Categories column on your left.

*Chestal Thrum: That feeling that a thousand small-but-invisible winged beings are doing a polka dance of joy in the general region of your heart and it is a sure sign that you are on to something good.

Tomorrow: Industrial Romantic

1. jlheuer says:

Honk, honk, mumblee, mumble. Goodnight. (Geese at night)

Birds of prey hunt in darkness. I love night pictures. Stars and other sparkly things. Lights are jewelry the buildings wear. She looks very regal in the dark of night.

3. David says:

Lovely weight to the whole place!

Geese ! lol ☺
    Fab shots.
    I remember a friend having a saying….’I’m a box of birds’.
    Used to make me smile.

These Pulliam shots really pull-you-in. 🙂

Glad you weren’t questioned or arrested whilst taking these, Jihadi Patricia. 🙂

• It was sort of …nervous-making…here, because not one other car came or went and I was getting pretty twitchy. So, happy as I was with the pictures, I was probably happier to leave.

Wabi Sabi: not nearly as fearless as she would have you believe. Sigh…

All these reasons to love these images: dark revealing the soul…..incredible shot of a nonincredible place…..thinking of you prowling in the darkness of night with your camera…..chestal thrum….Oh you wordsmith!

• Well, once again you have struck to the heart of what I want to do: show the nonincredible in a way that causes viewer-you to stop and say “Hey! Isn’t that the Pulliam Plant?”
      So, thank you for that…it’s always good to hear that the message has been received. 🙂
      P.S. on the wordsmithing: much agitation and stress can lead to chestal constriction.