I continue to return to the Pulliam Plant in search of pictures that grab me but have had mixed success capturing shots that give me full chestal thrum*. This is the first time I have tried it at night.

Score!

In this small set, the plant is a silent, hulking, mysterious presence. Or, at least, that’s what I was trying for, though the coppery reflections cancel out the whole Soviet factory vibe.

20150308_8867

This is a strange place to take pictures. Not a soul around, but…holy cow!…loud, loud, loud. Look at the first picture and the lumpish things bisecting the river. Geese! The water is mostly open here and this is apparently a popular after-hours smorgasbord location. (You can often be rewarded during daylight hours by the sight of eagles who nest here year-around and fish the open waters.) I just didn’t think birds went out for dinner and drinks after dark.

20150308_8850

20150308_8852

Several earlier posts cover the Pulliam Plant. If you’re interested, you’ll find them under the Categories column on your left.

*Chestal Thrum: That feeling that a thousand small-but-invisible winged beings are doing a polka dance of joy in the general region of your heart and it is a sure sign that you are on to something good.

Tomorrow: Industrial Romantic

Comments
  1. jlheuer says:

Honk, honk, mumblee, mumble. Goodnight. (Geese at night)

Birds of prey hunt in darkness. I love night pictures. Stars and other sparkly things. Lights are jewelry the buildings wear. She looks very regal in the dark of night.

3. David says:

Lovely weight to the whole place!

Geese ! lol ☺
    Fab shots.
    I remember a friend having a saying….’I’m a box of birds’.
    Used to make me smile.

These Pulliam shots really pull-you-in. 🙂

Glad you weren’t questioned or arrested whilst taking these, Jihadi Patricia. 🙂

• It was sort of …nervous-making…here, because not one other car came or went and I was getting pretty twitchy. So, happy as I was with the pictures, I was probably happier to leave.

Wabi Sabi: not nearly as fearless as she would have you believe. Sigh…

All these reasons to love these images: dark revealing the soul…..incredible shot of a nonincredible place…..thinking of you prowling in the darkness of night with your camera…..chestal thrum….Oh you wordsmith!

• Well, once again you have struck to the heart of what I want to do: show the nonincredible in a way that causes viewer-you to stop and say “Hey! Isn’t that the Pulliam Plant?”
      So, thank you for that…it’s always good to hear that the message has been received. 🙂
      P.S. on the wordsmithing: much agitation and stress can lead to chestal constriction.