After waxing enthusiastic about the eyeball-searing color of a high summer garden, you were probably expecting me to crack your monitor with some examples. Instead, I offer quite the opposite: some soft portraits of the most prominent flower in my garden: the Golden Glow. (I think this is a flower that falls under the larger umbrella of “Prairie Sunflowers.”)  You can find her in gardens, but more often running wild in the fields. She’s tall: I’m 5’8″ and many of the flowers are more than a foot above my head.

And, she is a brilliant gold, but for today’s posting, I have removed color from the equation in order to better highlight the grace and texture, shadow and mystery of this beauty, transforming a sorta-weedy wildflower into an elegant lady.

On a quick technical note, I was using a 60mm lens set to f2.8,  giving that wonderfully blurred background and playing up the softness of the petals. Most of the shots were taken in the early morning or around sunset. I was not using a tripod.

studies6

studies5

studies2

studies1

I played with the how much I desaturated the colors. As you can see in the two just above, there is just a hint, a mere hint of gold left in the portrait. The stems aren’t really green: they are just THINKING about the color green.

In the next two, I opted for a stricter black and white interpretation:

studies4

studies3

Comments
  1. David says:

These are all beautiful!

i agree with David. they are so soft & beautiful.

What a gorgeous set, Patricia. I saw your latest post in color first and now rewarded with your creative use of color here. I’m always drawn to the monochrome and these are terrific.

• Thank you, Jane–I don’t often think of converting to monochrome, but when I do, it certainly is a revelation. I’ve always loved these flowers (and have moved them from one house to another) but didn’t fully appreciate their beauty until I saw them like this.

4. Pepe de Moko says:

I can almost feel the thick creamy softness of the petals…these are close to being more tactile than visual

5. Cheryl Hanson says:

Remarkable!

6. I love them all…….

I like the desaturation technique, Bizarro Wabi Sabi.

• Thank you, LD…it doesn’t work for all (Queen Anne’s Lace looks harsh) but fits well with this flower. (Somehow missed your comment when it was posted. Did not mean to ignore your deep and pithy observations. 🙂 )