Petite wet-snow blizzard Friday afternoon. It was like shooting in the rain.

fresh tracks B

fresh tracks 2

fresh tracks 3

fresh tracks 5

I’ve driven over this little overpass a few zillion times in my life, but it never occurred to me to stop until I caught a glimpse of it in the storm on Friday.

Just when we think our lives are settled and predictable, circumstances can change abruptly,  rocketing  our complacent selves into a whole new narrative. That doesn’t mean bad things are happening in Wabi Sabi land, but an unexpected turn of events has switched us all onto a wildly different track. I put aside my camera for a while, something I haven’t done in years, but I’m thinking it’s maybe safe to quietly exhale now.  Even new narratives should yield a little creative space.

Hmmm…maybe I should buy a new lens. Major metaphoric statement, yes?

Comments

Hi Patricia, I love the quietness that this series conveys. Beautiful. I’m glad you decided to stop and take a look. I hope that whatever life has thrown at you has gotten better – happy lens shopping.

• Thank you, Jane. Railroad tracks suggest so many narratives–I expect we all layer on stories as we look at them.
      My household has increased in number, leading to moments of heart-blinding joy as well as jaw-shattering tooth-grinding stress-clenches.
      And, a dramatic increase in my use of hyphens. 🙂
      I look forward to visiting your site and catching up with seeing the world through your lens.

2. jlheuer says:

Getting out with your camera or into your studio is a necessity to keeping yourself centered and sane. Happy you are back.

• Taking pictures of the liquor cabinet doesn’t count, does it? 🙂

And thank you for taking me out last night for a little culture. The performance has stayed with me–dance is a form of art/communication whose vocabulary I don’t understand, so it has been fun to ponder the moves.

3. Wow! very beautiful set of photos! Love the black and white!!!

4. Schwister says:

Wonderful photos! I really like the simple contrasts of black and white, calm and cluttered. Those long straight lines of the tracks are a perfect counterpoint to the crazy crookedness of the tree branches.

Strangely, I was wondering if you had gone the way of the dodo. Good to see you back with such lovely photos.

• Thank you, LD. Sometimes, the whole “I are the growed up one” comes to settle on us for a while–as you well know from your own life.

Be careful about accusing a…mature…individual of going extinct. We get tetchy about that. 🙂

really beautiful.

7. Reblogged this on By the Mighty Mumford and commented:
    BEAUTIFUL BLACK AND WHITE IMAGES—OF OF A WELL-MAINTAIANED RAILROAD TRACK! 😀

Howdy Wabi Sabi. Good to see an insight into Wisconsin and environs and you. Lots happening here but not on WP – missed your regular updates. Cheers Andy.